If you are looking to play online shooting games or other types, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Cost: Software for standalone PC games can run upwards of a hundred dollars. Playing online can require monthly subscriptions ranging from a few dollars to twenty or thirty dollars. However, there are hundreds of sites that let you play for free.
- Platform Support: You’ll probably play online games from a desktop PC, laptop or mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet. Most online games support cross-platform technologies such as Java, Flash or HTML5 that will provide a consistent experience across a wide variety of devices. Some online shooting game requires a download that will depend on your device and operating system. This is true for other types as well. The best option is to look for sites that let you play online games right in your browser, regardless of platform or device.
- Selection: Some sites are dedicated to a single game. Others may provide links to various third-party web sites. The most popular sites, however, feature dozens or even hundreds of locally hosted online shooting games you can play all from the same site. You may choose to look for sites that include the widest variety of different types, or you may opt for a site that focuses primarily on a specific category. Online shooting games and arcade style adventures are among the most popular and a good choice for beginners.
- Game Categories: As mentioned above, many sites let you play online games in a variety of different genres. Action, adventure, role playing, sports; strategy and word puzzles are just a few common categories. Some sites offer even more specific thematic breakdowns, including options for those who prefer humor, zombies, online shooting games, cartoon style graphics, time-based challenges, racing and more.
- Controls: Like much PC software, online shooting games are usually controlled using your keyboard and/or mouse. This is also true for other categories. However, unlike console, arcade and some PC games, most online games don’t support the use of traditional controllers, joysticks or other peripherals. Some programs designed for tablets or smartphones may utilize touch-screen controls, but this is more common with standalone apps and not often found in online games. Make sure to read the instructions prior to starting. Otherwise you will find yourself struggling to figure out how to play.